Gardening is a matter fully depended on the weather. Throughout the whole year, October is the month when your plants need some attention.
As it is fall, it means winter is just knocking at the door. All plants which remain healthy throughout the whole year may face some complications during the winter.
They are not a complication, but the effect of weather change. So, plants need some special caring.
Also, there are some plants which are specially for the winter season. And October is a hard time to plant them. Most of them are green veggies and flowers.
So, in October, as gardening needs some extra attention, the gardener needs to know something additional about his or her plants caring.
Some must have to be taken actions you need to know. Some of them are general; some of them are state-wise, because of the weather differences.
Also, which states the weather is suitable for which winter plantation and how to take care of the plants. It seems quite a lot of information!
Don’t worry! Just scroll and know everything you want to know about October gardening.
General activities: things to do must
- Check if the soil of your garden is hungry, if need, add some food aka manure to it.
- Make your garden rich with some compost.
- Clean the garden and try to use the waste to start a new compost pile.
- Keep the water supply to your plants uninterrupted. Even if it snowing, the roots may get dry.
- Plants that are vacant outside in your garden bring them inside the house.
- Planting garlic can be a general gardening tip for any state during winter. So, plant some garlic.
- Start planting winter veggies.
- Your earlier planted Asters and mums may give you a better result if covered during a snowy night. So, include them.
- Before the snowfall starts, clear out the dead leaves. Otherwise, those leaves can get rotten and make the surface slippery later when the snow melts.
- Collect, dry, and preserve the fallen seeds for later gardening.
- Get the herbs harvested for your later use if you have them in your garden.
- Harvest the tomatoes. If they do not ripen, keep them in a warm place to ripen.
- October is the right time to harvest fall season crops, so harvest the squashes, cauliflower, cabbage, kale, beets, etc.
- Make your gardening ready for winter wear. Clean and sharpen them. Also, clean the pots in the garden and keep them upside down.
- Make it confirm that your birdbath remains empty in the night. So, the water in it doesn’t get hard. Fill it again in the morning after the sun rises.
- Finally, start to take preparation to put the garden beds.
Now it’s time to go state wise
Yes, gardening chores discussed earlier are the ones that come to the category of general. But our America is not a tiny country. It’s more like a continent.
Its states are like a country. Different states have differences in their weather conditions. It’s not like, when their winter somewhere, summer is.
Winter comes everywhere in the same manner. But, the difference in the down of the temperature and atmosphere makes the differences.
The humidity level is different in the states of our country. So, there are some differences in the October gardening criteria. Let’s know them by state.
Tasks to do in California:
The weather during October in California remains quite mild and warm. The temperature mostly ranges from 14.4° Celsius to 25.6° Celsius. To Follow:
- Rich the soil with some fertilizer.
- Trim the Oleander’s, but keep watering the roses regularly, don’t trim them.
- Start planting warm bulbs like Sparaxis, Caladiums, Tulip, Hyacinth, etc. they will grow early.
- Go with some winter flowers like Lobelia, Phlox, Sweet Alyssum, Viola, Petunia, Foxglove, Snapdragon, etc. keep watering them simultaneously, especially when the temperature rises.
- Start growing some winter veggies like Radishes, Cauliflower, Cabbages, Onions, Beets, Broccoli, Lettuce, Spinach, etc.
- Collect some cool weather bulbs ready for later plantation.
- Give some acidic fertilizer to your Azaleas, Camellias, Rhododendrons, and Hydrangeas.
Pacific Northwest garden works
In the Northwestern region, the weather during October remains rainy and windy. There are some must steps to follow:
- Keep the greens covered and protect them from heavy rain and wind.
- Perfect time for seeding newly garden beds.
- No need to water the plants.
- Make a solid and working drainage system.
Northeast garden works
This is the place freezes at first. Weather remains sunny and an average temperature of 50° to 60° F. So, plants need some observation. The steps to take here are:
- High time for composting. So, start your compost plantation.
- Plant some bulbs considering the temperature.
- Regularly water the plants.
Northcentral garden works
The north-central garden works are:
- Make your garden ready and plant some tender bulbs.
- Start winterizing your rose bushes.
- Mow the ground of your garden and clean the grass from it.
- Plant some winter bulbs in the garden.
Midwest garden activities
Finest of weather in October the Midwest has. The normal temperature remains 60ׄ° F on average. The sun remains hidden this time. So, garden works are accessible. They are:
- Make your garden clean. Especially remove the dry leaves and other debris.
- Great time to plant some spring bulbs.
- Confirm harvesting your earlier planted winter squashes before they get hard.
Southeast garden activities
The October weather in the Southeast region is quite warmer than others. The average temperature remains between 70° to 80° F. The days are quite sunny, but the threat of Hurricane and storms are there. So, the steps in the Garden are:
- Keep watering the plants regularly. Make it two times a day.
- Make sure to come to the ground veggies planting some healthy trees surrounding them.
- Planting perennials would be the right choice.
- Great time to plant some sweet potatoes.
Southwest garden activities
The warmest region during October the Southwest region has. Days remain sunny with an average high temperature of 87° F. Threat of natural disasters like Hurricane are there. The steps to take are:
- Planting some herbs can give a better result like dill, fennel, cilantro, parsley, etc.
- High time to grow some strawberries.
- Time to dig for some summertime bulbs.
- It would be better to plant some quick winter crops like Lettuce, Radishes, Carrots, etc.
Indoor gardening activities
Planting indoors activities remain the same criteria for almost the whole year. As October is the starting time of winter, some things change because of the changing of the duration of day and night. The activities are:
- Pause the watering and feeding as the growth of indoor plants slow down because of the shortening of the day. Excess watering can result from weakening the growth of the plants.
- Planting some cactus for your Christmas decoration along with some poinsettias would be a better option.
- Keep the plants in the temperature of 50° to 60° F.
- Make sure the plants remain at least 13 hours in darkness. Sometimes 15 hours of the night they need. So, covering would be a better option.
- Whenever you remove the cover, place them in bright light and water them as needed.
Hawaiian island works
October is an excellent time to give a superb trim to the trees like Mango, Avocado, etc.
Katie L. Brown is a garden writer with many years of experience. Writing about gardening and over years of experience working in nurseries. She uses her land and skills to working on new ideas, tips, and tricks to inform you. Currently, Katie L. Brown is the Founder Editor of gardenhubs, leading Garden coverage blog specifically.